Friday, March 18, 2016

Ironman New Zealand 2016 – A Race Story

Typically after a race I write a lot of details about the Swim, Bike & Run, but this time there is not much to tell in that department. It was a great swim (1:10:47) , a sub average bike (7:12:49) with severe pain in my right lower abdominal area, which then was finally matched nicely by a sub average 26.2 mile walk (7:16:15) (due to the pain – which subsided around 20 miles in to the marathon, but at that time my legs were done already) to the finish line, where I arrived after a long day in 16:02:23 for 140.6 miles.

What was more interesting this time is the things that happen around you during race preparation that make you carry on on a difficult day.

As many of you know – I’m friends with Fireman Rob (http://www.firemanrob.com / http://www.firemanrobfoundation.com) and last year Esra and I delivered 20 bears on a #BearASMILE mission to Starship Children’s Hospital in Auckland.


 This  year Rob went overboard and shipped 36 little bears to my home. I traveled to Auckland with a whole duffle bag filled to capacity with soft and cuddly Gund Bears and was able to provide them to nearly every child in two different wards and even have a few left guys for some of Starship’s outpatients. It’s amazing when you hear the stories of the children and what they and their families have go through.

When we do an Ironman it seems like a grueling event, but it’s something we pick and choose to do – the children at Starship did not “pick” to have Cystic Fibrosis or receive a heart transplant, but they battle day by day with their families and do not give up.

Yes – it was a hard day and I was more then once ready to call it quits. However – having this experience under my belt – it did not seem right to just quit. We struggle – yes – but at the end of the day we are done – it’ll probably hurt for a few more days and then we are looking forward to a new chapter in our stories.


Well, this chapter is in the books and I’m ready to move forward with new lessons learned, revising my bike fit, trying out (for me new) Hoka One One shoes and rediscovering the fun in my training.

However this report would not be complete (even though it had a different format) without a few thanks (and I’m sorry if I forgot someone):

Jan Tate at Starship Children’s Hospital for organizing my visit – as you can tell – the Bear Mission ’16 was very important on race day. Mark and the team from Top Gear Cycles in Taupo – great customer service up and beyond the call of duty to make sure I have a saddle to ride on. Ann, Arthur, Felicity and Scott for entertaining me and being out there on race day making sure I don’t get lost. Last but not least – my love of my life – Esra – I know it was hard watching me train all winter with purpose and following the race from afar instead of being on the course with me, but I love you for the company on long bikes and runs, the “gopher duties” like bottle refills and fan adjustments (and for so many other reasons – too many to even list or count)



No comments:

Post a Comment